Employment and Immigration Practice
Employment Law Counseling and Litigation
Butzel Long Tighe Patton has a team of employment lawyers with many years of experience in advising and representing clients in employment-related matters. We have experience in all areas of federal employment discrimination laws, including the Civil Rights Act of 1964 with respect to investigations, EEOC claims and litigations in the areas of gender (including sexual harassment), racial, national origin and immigration-related discrimination, including adverse action, adverse impact and retaliation claims. We have conducted investigations of employee complaints. We have prepared comprehensive employment compliance manuals. We have given training to clients about employment law principles, and we regularly advise HR departments in such areas as age discrimination, Americans with Disabilities Act matters, Family and Medical Leave Act matters, WARN act issues and plant closures. We have successfully resolved employee class actions and Department of Justice immigration-related discrimination investigations.
We also advise and litigate issues related to non-compete agreements, employee trade secrets obligations and related to employee contract matters, and we have negotiated executive employment agreements.
Butzel Long Tighe Patton also regularly advises clients with respect to Department of Labor matters, including wage and hour laws, especially overtime laws and exemptions.
Immigration and Naturalization Services
Butzel Long Tighe Patton provides our clients with a broad range of efficient, cost-effective immigration services, including advice and assistance in obtaining all types of non-immigrant visas and permanent residence (green card) visas. We also provide strategic counseling to corporate clients in connection with the hiring and retaining of foreign employees, the transfer of business executives to the United States and compliance with various regulatory requirements. We pride ourselves on responsiveness, personal attention and finding creative and effective solutions to meet our clients' immigration needs.
We provide support and counseling in a wide variety of immigration matters, including the following:
Non-Immigrant Work Visas:
- H-1B Visas for temporary specialty workers, including extensions and transfers;
- E-1, E-2 and E-3 Treaty Trader, Investor and Professional Visas;
- L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visas;
- O-1 Extraordinary Ability Visas for scientists, researchers and others;
- H-2B Visas for temporary workers; and,
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa and waiver of the foreign-residency requirement.
Permanent Residency Visas (Green Cards):
- Family-Based Green Card;
- EB-1 Foreign Nationals of Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Professors and Researchers and Multinational Executives and Managers;
- EB-2 Workers with Advanced Degrees or Exceptional Ability in Science, Art or Business;
- EB-3 Skilled Workers and Professionals;
- EB-4 Special Immigrant Visas for Religious Workers;
- EB-5 Investor/Employment Creation Visas; and,
- Refugee and Asylum Applications.
Other Types of Immigration Matters:
- Naturalization (Citizenship) Applications;
- Government (ICE) Investigations; and,
- I-9 Compliance.
Our Employment and Immigration team includes attorneys and paralegals who are fluent in various foreign languages, including Spanish, Turkish, Greek and French.